Thursday, April 15, 2010

On mothers, daughters and roadmaps



I have never been much of a writer. Ask me to speak and that's a different story but I am extremely intimidated by the thought of others reading my work and it not being good enough. I have lots of fears like this. At this time in my life I am attempting to face down my giants. Those constant "I cant's " that keep me from being the best and happiest woman I can be. I have begun with writing because it is one of my biggest obstacles. This blog is my safe space to tackle this and many of my fears. It is also my place to express myself and the simple pleasures that fill my life.



I dedicate this blog to my spectacular daughter Grace. I never heard much about how to navigate life as a woman from my mom. Women of her generation just did not talk about these things. I want my Gracie to have some kind of a road map. Perhaps the best one I can offer her is the chance to stand witness to her mom's joys and pains. I pray that she will learn that it is okay to be happy and to struggle sometimes and that she will pass that to her own daughter someday.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this blog. Kudos to you my friend. I shall follow you forever. Hee Hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honored to be part of the first group of folks invited to share your blog. I am also so happy to have been able to reconnect with you during your time of rebirth and transformation. As a woman, mother, daughter, sister and wife (the order may vary), I can certainly relate to the joys, wonder and sometimes sorrows that come along with each of the “titles”. In this spirit my friend, I thank you in advance for initiating this process of thoughtful reflection; I am excited to participate and I celebrate you for your very brave move to publicly express your thoughts. TAWANDA! (Fried Green Tomatoes)LOL

    ReplyDelete