My family and I moved into our first home just 4 months ago. We went from a small 1200 square foot apartment in the city to an almost 5000 square foot house. It is an amazing blessing and I thank God for it every day. I have found so much joy in making my home beautiful. I have the challenge of furnishing much more space than I have ever had in my life on a VERY SMALL budget. No budget at all to be honest. I am no designer but I am blessed to have a brother-in-law who is a very talented interior designer and a beautiful sister (Lisa) with impeccable taste. With their help and advice along with many issues of House Beautiful and Country Living and some of my own instincts, I am trying to make this huge house an intimate, comfortable and lovely place. Thrift stores, vintage shops, the Salvation Army (aka Sally's) and any place with a deal are my favorite places to shop. I will share what I am accomplishing for very little money as I go along. Today I want to focus on 4 of my favorite spaces.
First my bedroom...
Next, my vanity...
My husband bought me this beautiful old vanity for Christmas. I remember having one as a little girl. I love that John thought of such a special gift for me.
Yes, I know I've gotten a little plate happy but I just love these bird plates that I have picked up over the past few months. If you can think of a cheaper way to fill in big wall space please let me know!!
John's sweet Uncle Bill gave me these antique carved cinnabar boxes. They belonged to his beloved late wife Aunt Pat. I cherish them.
John's Aunt Chris (who I just adore) gave me this antique Chinese lamp. It is so beautiful. The old mirror is VERY heavy and cost me about $20.
This was an ugly old lime green ottoman that I got for $18 bucks (I wish I had a before picture it was so gross). My mom and I reupholstered it in this pretty black toile (also snagged the fabric at a thrift store for $5 a yard..HELLO!) I am especially proud of my buttons and tufted top.
I just love all things red so I could not resist this little red cabinet.
It was $60 at a thrift store.
Been practicing with arrangements. My dad always teases me about how much I keep re-arranging this little table. The Shabby Chic candlestick is from Lisa (so generous is she). I am just loving pink Depression Glass these days and have picked up these two pieces for a total of $16. The lady at the thrift store told me the pitcher is very collectible. I paid $25 which is steep for me but I just loved the color and shape.
It was $60 at a thrift store.
So these are a few of my favorite nooks. So many more to do!! Wish me luck and send along ideas and pointers if you have any.
John my husband said...
ReplyDeleteMy beloved-
I love that you thought of me in this labor of love of yours, i.e., in not spending all of that $ that we don't have. It moves me . . . really it does.
Looking forward to more of our china on the walls-
John
OMG! I am so impressed with your plate selection and arrangement. How beautiful. I love your bed and the iron gates on the back. Absolutely beautiful. Susan would be proud. I'm gonna email her your blog address so she can see it. Great blogging and photo positioning, I am most proud. 5 pts for mentioning me too. Hee Hee.
ReplyDeleteLove ya, Lee
One can never hang too many plates!! I have plates hanging in almost every room in my house in one way or another, sometimes in a big way! I love all sizes, all collections, all ages. I love plates! I love your arrangments and think you have a wonderful mentor in Lisa. She is a fine and dear friend to me as well. Keep going!
ReplyDeleteI especially love the red and aqua. It is quite a vintage pallet that is a standard. Too cute.
Keep enjoying your new larger home. Fill it with creative ideas. You asked for another inexpensive idea to fill up space...empty frames, all finishes--old ones are the neatest! But, you can add all kinds into the mix. Try your next blank wall.
Hope you can come to one of my workshop events sometime at Black-eyed Susan with Lisa! I'm a fan, carry on.